Middle School Academic Resource
- 95th percentile (+2/-2) for the Spring/Fall/Winter reading NWEA assessments.
- Exceeding expectations for both English Language Arts and Social Studies on the student report card.
- All students, including students in ALPS, will need to meet this criteria for placement.
- Placement into 7th and 8th grade AR is handled at the building level (space provided). Please contact your student’s English Language Arts teacher.
- Your student must be 95th percentile or above (NWEA) and have all A’s (ELA & Social Studies/Q1, Q2, and Q3) to qualify.
- Your student’s ELA teacher will work with counseling and building administration IF space is available.
Final Request Process for Further Review for Students in Grades 5-7
In cases where a student has not met the district criteria for Academic Resource (AR), families may elect to file a final request for further review. This appeal, made to the Assistant Superintendent of Instructional Services must provide substantial evidences that a student will be successful in Academic Resource.
Requests must be received by June 26, 2023. Upon receipt of the appeal request, the Assistant Superintendent of Instruction will convene a review team which will be comprised of at least two other educators. The review team will meet by the end of June to review all appeals submitted to date. Appeals will not be accepted after June 26th. Notification of the decision will be sent to the family within one week of the review team meeting. The decision of the appeal review team is final.
The following can be included in the appeal, which should be submitted to the Assistant Superintendent of Instructional Services:
- A letter from the family/caregivers clearly detailing their reasoning for desiring AR placement.
- A statement from the student detailing his/her reasoning for desiring AR.
- Demonstration of the student’s aptitude and/or achievement in Language and Literature (English Language Arts). This should include a product that the student has authored or created that demonstrates creativity and strong language skills. It can include a photograph of the product with explanation, written composition, media presentation, etc.
- Examples of the student’s work done through NPS or through an outside entity.
- Performance through academic competitions.
The appeal and the student’s compiled academic record will be reviewed. If deemed necessary by the Assistant Superintendent, a meeting with the family/caregivers will be held to gather additional information. Please note that to appeal, a student's NWEA scores must be close to the posted criteria.