In-District Open Enrollment
The District’s Open Enrollment Policy addresses situations in which parents would like students to attend an elementary or middle school within the District that is not within their attendance or school boundary area.
Should you choose to make an Open Enrollment request for a child in grades 1-8 to attend a school other than your designated school, or to continue an existing Open Enrollment placement for the following year, a Request Form must be submitted to the administration no later than May 15, 2024.
Open Enrollment preferences pertaining to incoming Kindergarten may be expressed through Kindergarten orientation and registration process, but also require a Request Form be completed using the link below in order to receive consideration.
The District has automated the request process, so you no longer need to send a letter or email. You simply use the link above to submit your request to the Office of Human Resources. Requests will be reviewed with the appropriate building administrators as part of the process, so you do not need to send a request to the buildings.
The Open Enrollment Request Form must be submitted on an annual basis. There is no automatic continuation for subsequent school years. Please be aware that there are no guarantees of approval, nor are there guarantees that siblings will be able to remain in the same building.
Note: Those making requests can expect a tentative response by the end of June. If further adjustments are necessary due to enrollment or staffing fluctuations which occur over the summer, a second communication will be sent one to two weeks prior to the start of the school year.
Open Enrollment Guidelines
- The Request Form must be submitted by the deadline noted above for the upcoming school year.
- The Office of Human Resources will review the requests with the appropriate principals, including consideration of the student’s overall educational needs.
- Transfer requests will be given due consideration based on a variety of factors, including:
- The sending / receiving principals’ recommendations
- Available physical space in the school and grade level being requested
- Enrollment and staffing considerations
- The understanding that the District does not provide transportation for Open Enrollment students
- The understanding that the student cannot transfer back to the home school during the year of transfer.