The Leader In Me
The Leader in Me is an innovative, school-wide model that emphasizes a culture of student empowerment and helps unleash each child’s full potential. Applying the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, teachers and students internalize timeless leadership principles that nurture the skills students need for success in the 21st century.
In Northville Public Schools all 6 of our elementary schools are not only Leader in Me Schools, but they all also carry the distinction of being Leader in Me Lighthouse Schools. The Lighthouse School Designation was earned because our schools demonstrate the following:
- The principal, school administration and staff engage in ongoing learning and develop as leaders, while championing leadership for the school.
- Leadership principles are effectively taught to all students through direct lessons, integrated approaches, and staff modeling. Students are able to think critically about and apply leadership principles.
- Families and the school partner together in learning about the 7 Habits and leadership principles through effective communication and mutual respect.
- The school community is able to see leadership in the physical environment, hear leadership through a common language, and feel leadership through a culture of caring, relationships, and affirmation.
- Leadership is shared with students through a variety of leadership roles and student voice leads to innovations within the school.
- Schoolwide, classroom, family, and community leadership events provide authentic environments to celebrate leadership, build culture, and allow students to practice leadership skills.
- The school utilizes the 4DX® process to identify and track progress toward Wildly Important Goals (WIGs) for the school, classroom, and staff.
- Students lead their own learning with the skills to assess their needs, set appropriate goals, and carry out action plans. They track progress toward goals in Leadership Notebooks and share these notebooks with adults in student-led conferences.
- Teacher planning and reflection, trusting relationships, and student-led learning combine to create environments for highly engaged learning.
To learn more about The Leader in Me, please take a look at the Parent’s Guide to Leader in Me!