2021-2022 School Year
For the 2021-22 school year, Northville Public Schools will be returning back to our pre-pandemic virtual learning options. The virtual learning options from the 2020-21 school year will no longer be provided. Those who are interested in continuing with a full-time at-home virtual learning option should note that the virtual options available are provided by trusted third party partners that we have utilized for many years. You will find more information about these virtual partners below.
Is At-Home/Independent Virtual Learning Right for My Child?
A traditional full-time virtual learning program is very different from what you may have experienced through NPS’s Pandemic Full-Virtual program in the 2020-2021 school year. There are not “bell scheduled” sessions each day in virtual learning programs, but rather are designed around an asynchronous format. To determine if the traditional full-time virtual learning program is right for your child, please review the Key Characteristics of Successful Online Learners and take the Online Learning Readiness Rubric
to align your child’s readiness for this virtual learning world. In order for placement and success, your student would need to be More Ready than Less Ready in the 8 Student Readiness Matrix.
Key Characteristics of Successful Online Learners
- Good Time Management - Can your child create and maintain a study schedule throughout the semester without face-to-face interaction with a teacher?
- Effective Communication - Can your child ask for help, make contact with other students and the instructor online, and describe any problems she/he has with learning materials using email, text messaging, and/or the telephone?
- Independent Study Habits - Can your child study and complete assignments without direct supervision and maintain the self-discipline to stick to a schedule?
- Self Motivation - Does your child have a strong desire to learn skills, acquire knowledge, and fulfill assignments in online courses because of an educational goal? Can she/he maintain focus on the goal?
- Academic Readiness - Does your child have the basic reading, writing, math and computer literacy skills to succeed in the class?
- Technologically Prepared - Is your child prepared to use constantly evolving technology to learn? The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) published a set of Standards for Students designed to empower student voice and ensure that learning is a student-driven process.
Source: Michigan Virtual Learning Research Initiative
How Long Am I Committing to At-Home/Independent Virtual Learning?
Choosing the Full Virtual Option is a year-long commitment. When considering if this program is right for your child, be sure to consider this year-long requirement as you will not be able to switch between virtual and in-person options at any point in the school year.
NPS K-8 At-Home/Virtual Learning Program
Students in Elementary and/or Middle School who are interested in being part of a full time online option are able to enroll in The Virtual Learning Academy Consortium. The Virtual Learning Academy Consortium (VLAC) is a high-quality, home-based virtual learning opportunity for students in Kindergarten-8th grade, operated by Oakland Schools. This program is a self paced option for parents preferring a flexible, home-based environment and who are willing to guide their child's learning. Parents, students and the VLAC staff work together to keep students engaged and excited about learning. If you are interested in signing up for this full time at-home option, please visit the VLAC Enrollment Page
to begin the process.
9-12 Full Virtual Learning
High School students interested in taking online courses full time from home would work with their NHS Counselor to build their schedule for the 2021-2022 school year. To understand the structure of online 9-12 courses, please review this How Online Learning Works Video
to better understand what is involved in this type of virtual learning.
Courses would be taken through Michigan Virtual
and in some instances, in Edgenuity
. These trusted third party providers would provide all content and support for students opting for this program. To see a list of courses provided through Michigan Virtual, click on the NHS Online Course Options
If you are interested in signing up for this full time at-home online option, please contact your child’s counselor to let them know about your decision.